This lighting exercise was done to better my lighting abilities and understanding of lighting between live action and cg environments. I chose a still from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (cinematographer Sławomir Idziak). I started by matching the camera and creating proxy geometry to start matching the mood set by the lighting in the scene. Once I had developed a match, I began to make original alterations in both the camera position, and the mood.
The scene was initially built and matched in Maya, and for a couple of variations I used a cached alembic to bring the scene in to Houdini to try out other shading and lighting methods.
I am responsible for all aspects except for the human and animal models.