A Poster project for an ILLU 213 class im taking a scad.
Prompt was to create a poster design of our choice.
Any media, subject, genre, etc.
I jumped at this opportunity to illutrate one of my favorite films.
I started with a quick 20 minute value study,
Just a small speed painting to get familiar with the form and where i want my lighting etc.
Next i did the inking of the Faun.
Completely in pencil and ink,
I really wanted to focus on the linear beauty of the poster.
I think it goes better with the personality of Pan and illustrates the gorgeous design
Del Toro had envisioned while making the film.
This was the first painting test.
Experimenting with how much color i wanted or needed.
The more i added the less i liked it.
It became more obvious i needed to bump the color down a lot.
I also decided not to go with the textured gradient,
It made Pan look a little too threatening and scary.
I wanted to focus on the labyrinth side of the story.
The big picture.
I decided to add a labyrinth behind Pan.
I traced over a print out of a generic maze,
and proceeded to add hundreds of intricate lines.
I liked the idea of there being a labyrinth within a labyrinth.
It went along with the story of the film,
and how there where two different types labyrinths being explored.
This also created a stronger composition and visual character.
It gave a reward to the viewer for looking closely and paying attention to detail...
..just like the film...
This was the final outcome.
I had a bit of a struggle with the text.
But all in all i was pretty satisfied with the result.
I took color almost completely out of the picture,
although there are accents and strokes of blue and violet within the values of Pan.
The dust-y look and texture went well with the concept and design,
it's a bit paranoid and creates a curious cognitive side to the poster.
The focus stays on the line work and the elements comliment eachother fairly well.
Im still a bit torn on whether not the maze should be less opacitated,
but at the end of the day, i had a lot fun with this project and am happy with the result.
A revision before i turned in the final.
Kicked down the opacity on the labyrinth and cleaned up some areas a little.
I also customized the text to give it a more personal touch.